JCE subscription form at no cost for graduate students click here
July 2017 News click here
The mission of the Journal of Character Education is to disseminate high quality scholarship concerning character education, broadly defined. The JCE serves an audience of researchers, scholars, policy makers, teacher educators, and school practitioners concerned with the development of positive character in young people. The editors define character education broadly to include most attempts to enhance the positive development of youth, especially in educational settings and school communities. Different theoretical approaches and educational philosophies are welcome. The journal is a forum for research reports, theoretical discussion, practical application, intellectual challenge, and scholarly reflection, as well as book reviews and other resource evaluations.
The Journal of Character Education welcomes an array of manuscript types, and articles may well cover more than one of the following areas, although the primary focus is on school-based outcome research:
- The research side of character education – quantitative or qualitative reports of a character education research program, focusing on research results;
- The method side of character education research – explanation and discussion of new or unusual educational practices, and/or critique of currently used research or evaluation methods and analysis techniques;
- The school side of character education – first person accounts, reflections, and advice from the field on organizational management, program implementation, community involvement, lessons learned;
- The philosophical side of character theory – reflection on the discourse used in character education, definitions, assumptions, arguments; exploring the philosophical tradition from which current incarnations of character and virtue stem;
- The moral psychology side of character development – models of character, of self, motivation, the development of reason, choice, learning, responsibility, identity formation, and healthy human development.